Is Chiropractic Care Safe During Pregnancy?
During pregnancy, there are several physiological and endocrinological changes that occur in preparation for creating the environment for the developing baby. The following changes could result in a misaligned spine or joints:
- Protruding abdomen and increased back curve.
- Pelvic ligament changes from hormones.
- Postural adaptions.
Establishing pelvic balance and alignment is another reason to obtain chiropractic care before and after pregnancy. When the pelvis is misaligned, it may create increase uterine tension and reduce the amount of room available for the developing baby. This restriction is called intrauterine constraint. A misaligned pelvis may also make it difficult for the baby to get into the best possible position for delivery. This can affect the mother’s ability to have a natural, non-invasive birth. Breech and posterior positions can interfere with the natural ease of labor and lead to interventions such a c-sections, forceps and suction.
The nervous system is the master communication system to all the body systems including reproductive system. Keeping the spine and pelvis aligned helps the entire body work more efficiently.
Women have reported the following benefits of chiropractic care before and during pregnancy
- Maintaining a healthier pregnancy
- Controlling symptoms of nausea and morning sickness
- Reducing the time of labor and delivery
- Relieving back, neck and joint pain
- Prevention of a potential caesarean delivery
- Aiding in proper nutrition to increase fertility and baby’s growth